top of page


John Fitzgerald was born in the Bronx, New York, on November 11, 1953. From a very young age, it was evident that he saw and expressed things in his own unique way. He was never one to do what was expected.

"My first memories of how abstract my little world was came while living across the street from the Bronx Zoo in New York. Every day after work and on weekends, my father walked me across the street to the zoo. It was there that I remember the colors, shapes, and wild movements of the animals, people, and foreboding gothic buildings. Like fantastic dreams, I couldn’t wait for the next day to unfold".

John served in the United States Army, and after being honorably discharged in 1978, he returned home to New York, where he met his wife, Diane. In 1979, they moved to Texas. John took odd jobs to support himself and his wife while experimenting and honing his art. It was in Texas that John had his first one-man show. From there on, he surrounded himself with "artists" and studied the works of abstract painters such as Jackson Pollock, Arshele Gorky, Willem de Kooning, Juan Miro, and Wassily Kandinsky.

In 1981, John and his wife moved back to New York, where John worked as a steamfitter in New York City by day and as an artist at night.

"In New York, everything is abstract; everything sparks a new idea; it’s a very fast life, and you live on the edge all the time."


Throughout his career, John’s work has evolved. He would say that not all successful pieces end at the apparent completion; some were revisited and reworked with greater satisfaction, understanding, and appreciation.

In 1994, John moved to North Carolina, where he and his wife managed a Boy Scout camp for 10 years. Living on premises made it very convenient for John to pursue his passion for art. Some of his most exciting pieces were created during this time.

John retired at the age of 59 and concentrated on his art, creating countless works of art full of colors, shapes, and dreamlike images.

At the age of 68, John was diagnosed with ALS. It was 8 months later, on March 14, 2022, that John succumbed to this debilitating disease.

John was a remarkable person, loved by many. He left us a legacy of art that will last through the ages.

bottom of page